SAFETY, TRAINING & EMPLOYMENT MANAGER
Supercom Industries (GP) Corp. is the general partner for Supercom Industries LP, a partnership of Michipicoten First Nation, Netmizaagamig Nishnaabeg (Pic Mobert First Nation), Biigtigong Nishnaabeg (Pic River First Nation), Pays Plat First Nation, Red Rock Indian Band and Fort William First Nation. Supercom was formed by our First Nations to deliver employment, training and create business opportunities related to the $700+ million East West Tie transmission development that will commence construction in late 2019 across our collective traditional territories and reserve lands.
The East – West Tie Transmission Project (Project) involves the installation of a new double-circuit 230 kilovolt (kV) transmission line connecting the Wawa Transformer Station (TS) to the Lakehead TS in Shuniah near Thunder Bay.
The Health & Safety of all employees, joint venture partners, contractors and the public are of the highest priority at Supercom.
We are currently recruiting for the position of Safety, Training & Employment Manager to be based out of our office in Thunder Bay.
The Safety, Training & Employment Manager is responsible for overseeing all aspects of day-to-day Health, Safety and Training issues and Employment functions at Supercom for both office and field-based employees.
This is an exciting and challenging opportunity ideal for a hands-on professional with a ‘can-do’ attitude and demonstrated work ethic capable of delivering effective, timely outcomes.
This position reports to the President and CEO of Supercom and will manage the Safety, Training and Employment functions within the company.
• Assist in fostering positive relationships at Supercom between the First Nations facilitators (“knowledge holders”), the Client, Joint Venture Partners, and the public located near the project.
• Assist with the development, implementation and maintenance of an effective Safety Management System that meets the requirements of applicable provincial and federal Acts, Regulations and Codes, as well as industry standards.
• Develop, implement and maintain Project Safety Plans.
• Monitor projects and conduct audits/inspections to ensure compliance with the Safety Management System, Project Safety Plans, and regulatory/client standards.
• Compile and analyze statistical data, as well as prepare reports for management, clients, and/or regulatory bodies.
• Lead and/or assist in the investigation of workplace accidents/incidents with a view to identifying root causes and implementing preventative measures.
• Assist in identifying employee training and educational needs to build the necessary competencies to ensure that employees can perform their duties to acceptable safety standards, safe work practices and environmental guidelines.
• Develop and facilitate safety, training and educational activities.
• Ensure new employees receive the safety orientation and initial training prior to starting any work.
• Manage WCB cases and ensure paperwork/reports are submitted in a timely manner.
• Provide safety leadership and direction to the Supercom management team and facilitators.
• Travel as required to project sites, Client or Joint Venture Partner premises, and off-site locations to meet job demands.
• Holds the overall responsibility for the performance of all Supercom’s training and employment activities
• Work with Canadian Union of Skilled Workers and all other trade unions for future apprenticeship and job opportunities
• Work with the General Contractor of East-West Tie Line, its subcontractors and Supercom JV Partners for employment opportunities on the Project
• Oversee any necessary onboard student training requirements
• Oversee the accurate recording of all Supercom students employed on East-West Tie Line Project (position, start date, hours worked, wages, end date)
• Oversee the accurate recording of all hours worked by all Indigenous people
• Work with Contractors should concerns arise either from the student or the employer
• Work with Supercom student during work placement if required
• Together with the Training and Employment Coordinator provide monthly activity reports to the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development
• Provide activity reports at the Supercom Board Meetings
• Attend third party cultural awareness training
• Oversee all East-West Tie Line Project employment opportunities using Supercom website, Facebook, community’s information display system, newsletters, and other communication channels
• Other duties as assigned.
Desired Skills and Experience
• National Construction Safety Officer (NCSO) certification or similar recognized accreditation or work experience. More advanced Occupational Health & Safety certification would be an asset.
• Minimum of 3 -5 years supervisory experience associated with safety & training experience with transmission projects and/or electrical utility industry would be an asset.
• Current knowledge of applicable federal and provincial Health & Safety Acts, Regulations, Codes and industry standards.
• Effective leadership skills and ability to inspire others.
• Strong oral, written and presentation skills.
• Proven experience in working well with all functional groups and all levels of employees.
• Passionate & tenacious about Health, Safety and Training and sharing knowledge/experience with others.
• Working knowledge of MS Office suite of programs.
• Knowledge of current Ontario Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) regulations associated with workplace injury/illness reporting and case management.
• Intimate familiarity with the labour unions in Northern Ontario
• Thorough understanding of the government training programs
• Must possess a valid driver’s licence.
• Be honest and trustworthy.
• Be respectful.
• Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity.
• Knowledge and understanding related to the cultural and historical aspects of the Supercom partners of the member six First Nations and the lands would be an asset.
• Be flexible.
• Demonstrate sound work ethic.
• Be punctual.
Application & Deadline
Indigenous persons, especially those qualified members of our partner First Nations are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are looking for a rewarding career with a fast-paced growing company, please submit a current resume, cover letter and three references one of which should be from your most recent employer. For the right candidate, we are offering a competitive compensation package including a competitive salary commensurate with your qualifications.
Application should be clearly marked “Competition – Safety, Employment & Training Manager” and be submitted no later than 4:00 pm on Monday, March 2nd to the attention of:
Executive Assistant, Supercom Industries Corp.
Tel: (807) 624-2110 or (807)633-4405
While we wish to thank you for your application, ONLY THOSE SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED.
All applicants must be legally able to work in Canada without sponsorship.
For more information about Supercom, please visit our corporate website at http://www.supercom.com.